The advent of Brexit has seen many changes to legislation affecting UK expats living on mainland Europe.
Prior to January 2021, advisors who were based in the UK were able to provide advice across Europe. However, permissions that once allowed UK based advisors to trip in and out of Europe have since been removed.
Changes by the Malta Financial Services Authority back in 2019 are still having an impact too with many financial services firms leaving the region meaning individuals have been left in the dark over the performance of their investments and whether they are still fit for purpose.
While this has rightly hit the headlines, the real story in Europe is one of clients being overcharged or under-serviced by their advisor for years.
When did you last speak with your advisor?
Whilst your advisor should have contacted you to explain if you have been affected by any of the recent changes, often it’s the case that investors are left in the dark and to manage their portfolio on their own. Many international expats that we speak to are worried that their pension or savings solution is not living up to expectations. Many are unhappy with the products, service and high cost of their existing arrangements.
Second Opinion? Even if your advisor is still in the region, if any of the aforementioned points resonate with you it would be prudent to obtain a second opinion on your finances.
All companies charge fees however not all companies are transparent on what and why they are charging the fees. High commissions often erode the growth you’ve made on your investments and only benefit your financial advisor. Many companies often bundle their fees together and the names of these fees vary depending on what company you are dealing with, thus making it near impossible to compare what solution is best for you.
Skybound Wealth’s Ongoing Commitment To You.
As your partner on your journey, we promise to be with you every step of the way.
Regular meeting reviews to help assess your current circumstances and any recommendations that we might have.
- Access to your personal financial planner and technical support within the team.
- Access to international tax experts and qualified pension specialists.
- Regular market updates.
- Updates and information regarding your holdings.
- Access to exclusive seminars and events.
- Answers to any ad-hoc financial planning queries you may have.
- Both research and analysis using comparator software of the whole market to ensure that the investment managers are producing consistent returns in line with your risk parameters.
- Reviewing and rebalancing of your portfolio so that it is in line with the latest research from our internal investment committee.